Posted by: Stacey Maka
Yes, yet another superhero makeup tutorial! As excited I was about The Amazing Spider-Man movie (which I’m happy to say I watched the day advance screening of and thought the movie was awesome!), I believe The Dark Knight Rises is going to be the big summer superheroes movie box office hit. It’s a very highly anticipated film which I’m really looking forward too as well. Looking at the movie stills of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman made me want to do this look. I incorporated some of the design of Catwoman’s mask into this look while still keeping a cat eye theme. Let’s start:
1. You really don’t want any creasing happening with this dark look so start with priming your eyelids (Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion), 2. Especially when using dark eyeshadows, it’s best to apply loose powder (Tarte Smooth Operator) beneath your eyes in case any fall out happens and ruins your foundation.
3. Taking a greyish taupe colour (Maybelline Color Tattoo in Tough as Taupe), 4. Apply this all over your lids including your upper tear duct (we will be using this has our base so don’t worry too much about mistakes), 5. Start to create a cat eye and apply some to your bottom line as well, 6. Don’t be afraid to wing it out as much as you need to. An extreme eye calls for extreme measures.
7. Using a silver-grey colour (MAC Knight), 8. Apply it to the inner corner of your lids.
9. Taking a very deep matte green eyeshadow (MAC Femme Noir), 10. Apply it starting from the center of your lids and out towards the ends, 11. Line the entire bottom of your eyes right to the tear ducts, 12. Avoid getting too close to the cat line.
13. Taking the blackest eyeshadow (MAC Hot Contrast…so broken!), 14. Apply it to the crease and outer corner of your eyes, and start to define the cat line. If you find it too harsh go around and use your blending brush to soften it a bit.
15. Taking a highlight colour (Kat Von D in Heavens from the Saint palette), 16. Apply right under your brow bone. It gives the eyes a nice finish.
Line your waterline with black eyeliner (Kat Don D Autograph Pencil in Puro Amor).
17. When I think Catwoman, I think of very strong and powerful facial features so let’s do a bit of contouring (The Balm Bahama Mama bronzer), 18. You can apply contour to the hollows of your cheeks, 19. Your jawline, 20. Your temples, and even down the sides of your nose.
21. Use a lip liner before applying your lipstick (Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in Addiction), 22. I used a more pinky-red but if you want to use full on red go right ahead.
This is where the more fun part starts!
23. Using a liquid liner, draw a line that curves along your crease line (do your best to not blink before it’s dry!), 24. Once your crease line in done, create a cat eye liner and connect the 2 lines together, 25. From the end of the cat eye liner, start to draw out diagonal lines, 26. Try not to space the lines out too much.
27. Keep them coming! As you get to the end of the line, making the lines more faint as possible, 28. As shown.
29. To make Catwoman’s mask inspired diagonal lines pop more, taking a brown taupe (MAC Satin Taupe), 30. You are going to first apply it to the center of your lower lids, 31. Then start applying the colour between each line, 32. If you need to go back with the liquid liner to define the black lines again go right ahead.
33. The eyes are already very dramatic so I wanted to keep the eyelashes more simple. Apply some false eyelashes (Quo in 803), 34. And apply mascara (Shiseido Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus) to your lower lashes as well.
I hope this gets you all pumped up to see The Dark Knight Rises!