23, 02, 2017
With the mixture of trends and just plain old growing up, it’s funny how we went from carrying around our entire life in an over-sized purse to carrying a small barely-fits-all kind now. Just the thought and looking back on those times of lugging around a huge bag on my shoulder around the city makes me cringe deep into the ground. As I’ve gotten much wiser, living and having things within my needs has been a top priority. I’m sure you’re all aware now of minimalism — I do believe that not everyone can or should have to follow a strict minimalist lifestyle, but rather have elements of it incorporated daily.
It took some trial and a little bit of error, but after time, I’ve gotten it pat down to what I really need and actually use on a daily basis. These small but personal treasures come around with me everyday in my favourite clutch bag. Less really is a lot more!
1. Wallet — Although I’ve been guilty before of carrying around a huge wallet, I always saw it as a wasted space to just fill up with rarely used membership cards, ticket stubs, gum wrappers, and old receipts you never look back on. Carrying around garbage got old, so for the last few years I’ve switched over to small pouches and slim wallets. If you don’t know my style, I favour the subtle vibes of masculine/feminine chic in my wardrobe and accessories. My current favourite: The slimJIMMY by jimmyCASE. It let’s me hold up to 6 cards in the front, and up to 15 bills in the side pocket as well — pretty much foolproof if you ask me.
2. Notebook — When you’re a blogger, writer, designer, and any other occupation where jotting ideas and information down is essential, a small notebook is a must-have around. I honestly have a bunch of these not only in my purse but sitting around ready for brainstorming.
3. Phone — As cool as it looked when Carrie Bradshaw used Payphones in Sex & the City, it just ain’t that practical in our digital world today. Smartphones are not only our gateway for communication, but they’re also our personalized miniature computers. I was never a fan of the wallet case and always preferred something that looked sleek while doing it’s job of protecting my phone as well. (*Richmond & Finch Satin Black Case – use code ‘bambivstheworld20‘ for 20% off your entire order.)
4. Watch — You may not realize or even think much of it, but checking the time on your phone can lead into a bad habit. When you’re so reliant on this small device, sometimes simply checking the time leads into impulsively checking everything else like your Instagram, Twitter, or Snapchat. And although we may need or want to use our phones, constantly being on them is unhealthy. I’ve found that wearing a wrist watch and checking the time on it instead of on my phone helps me stay productive and motivated, with no distractions throughout my day.
5. Makeup — Instead of carrying around an entire makeup bag, I like to grab 1 to 3 of the most needed items for the day. Especially when you’re a makeup girl this can be a challenge. After working for a Japanese company for several years, what I’ve valuably learned is that we always have time for anything and that professionalism starts early. There are a few exceptions — but for the most part — if you roll into work everyday almost late with messy hair, no makeup on, and use the working hours to try and fix yourself up, the day will often go into an unorganized spiral. So I believe makeup and hair should be done before heading out and only bring what you need for touch-ups.
6 & 7. Perfume & Hand cream — I’d say these are pretty self-explanatory. Smelling good and moisturized skin is always a must for anyone! Again, we’re keeping it minimal, so I always try to find the travel or sample sizes of my favourites to throw right into my purse.