16, 06, 2016
I’ll be one to admit that I’m womance challenged and find it quite hard to sometimes relate to other women. I know friendships come and go, and regardless of what the outcome may be it’s still a valuable life experience. The theory that opposites attract does not seem to work in my favour whether is be in both friendships or romantic relationships.
I believe relationships in all forms last the longest and are it’s strongest when you have similar interests and goals. They don’t necessarily have to be the exact same – just similar. That being said, not all women are the same. Just like how not all men are the same, women come in all different attitudes and personalities. These are just some of the things I can’t always relate to or understand:
1) Weddings – Hollywood movies always start off with the character talking about how ever since they were a little girl they always dreamt about their wedding day. As for me, I was never that little girl since I was too busy planning out my barbie’s next haircut while letting her rock out to music in her birthday suit. It’s only until the last few years that I started to think about what it might be like to get married. Knowing myself I’m pretty sure that I’ll never fantasize about the dress or venue.
2) Boyfriends before girlfriends – I understand as young girls we’ve made the many mistakes of always putting our boyfriends first. However, as women I like to believe we’ve learned that time apart is a good thing to go off with your friends and enjoy their company. Guys value their friendships so why don’t more women do the same?
3) Sports – I like soccer, and when I say I like soccer it’s because I really do like soccer. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve told someone I’m a futbol fan and they follow it up by saying, “But soccer is so boring! You must be watching it because of Cristiano Ronaldo – or are you a Neymar fan?”. Believe it or not, women can genuinely love watching the game and keep a tally on her favourite teams. Just sayin’!
4) Materialism – I’ve never been into collecting designer handbag and shoes. The closest I’ve ever gotten to something designer are if they were passed down to me from my mother – but even that never really riled me up. Even guys or people in general with nice cars have never riled me up either. I get riled up in other ways I guess :P.
5) Body image – The good news is that body positivity has been making a huge movement and a lot of people are now accepting and loving what they have. However, it’s no denying how much influence the Kardashian/Jenner’s have on a lot of girls and women. From lip injects to waist trainers and bigger booties – the evidence is all over instagram. I’m all for self-improvements if you’re not happy, but I’m also for learning to love yourself and work with what your mama gave you.
What makes you different from everyone else?